You are on page 1of 62

he

Hellfire
Club
he
Hellfir
e Club
(or
"Club
thine
Ifrinn"
in
Irish)
is the
name
given
to a
ruined
buildin
g that
sits
near
the
summi
t of
Montp
elier, a
hill in
the
Dublin
Mount
ains,
County
Dublin
,
Ireland
. It
was
built
around
1725 by
Willia
m
Conoll
y, the
speak
er of
the
Irish
House
of
Comm
ons
who
purcha
sed
the
land
from
Philip
Whart
on, 1st
Duke
of
Whart
on.

e
lieved
to
have
been
constr
ucted
as a
huntin
g
lodge
(the
groun
ds
compri
sed a
1,00acr
e (4
km²)
deer
park),
the
buildin
g
acted
as a
viewpo
int for
Conoll
y's
mansi
on at
Castlet
own
House,
Celbri
dge,
County
Kildar
e. The
buildin
g
consis
ts of
two
large
rooms
and a
hall on
the
upper
floor
with a
kitche
n and
servan
t's hall
on the
lower
floor.
The
house
was
origina
lly
called
“Moun
t
Pelier”
, the
name
now
given
to the
hill
upon
which
it
stands
; the
origina
l Irish
name
of the
hill is
unkno
wn.
Believ
ed to
have
been
used
as a
meetin
g
place
for the
Irish
Hellfir
e Club,
the
area
has a
reputa
tion
for
being
associ
ated
with
Satani
sm,
the
supern
atural
and
the
occult.

h
e
summi
t of
the hill
was
origina
lly the
site of
a
megali
thic
monu
ment,
descri
bed as
consis
ting of
a large
slab
surrou
nded
by a
stone
wall.
The
site
also
consis
ted of
a
numbe
r of
standi
ng
stones
. Many
of the
stones
from
the
cairn
were
used
in the
constr
uction
of the
house.
Shortl
y after
its
compl
etion,
a
powerf
ul
storm
blew
the
slated
roof
away.
Popula
r local
supers
tition
held
that
this
was
the
handi
work
of the
Devil,
a
punish
ment
for the
desecr
ation
of the
cairn.
The
roof
was
rebuilt
with a
sturdy
arched
stone
roof –
similar
to the
constr
uction
of a
bridge
– that
remain
s
intact
to this
day.

t
is
believ
ed
that
the
Irish
Hell
Fire
Club
(found
ed 1735
by
Richar
d
Parson
s, 1st
Earl of
Rosse)
held
some
meetin
gs at
the
house,
althou
gh
their
regula
r
meetin
g
place
was
the
Eagle
Tavern
on
Cork
Hill
near
Dublin
Castle.
As a
result,
many
lurid
stories
regard
ing
activiti
es
there
have
entere
d
popula
r local
folklor
e.
These
includ
e tales
of
drinkin
g
sessio
ns and
black
masse
s as
well as
ritual
sacrifi
ces of
black
cats
and,
on one
occasi
on, a
dwarf

n
1971,
the
skelet
on of a
dwarfi
sh
figure
was
found
buried
along
with a
brass
statue
of a
demon
at
nearby
Killake
e
House
(a
place
with a
reputa
tion
for
haunti
ngs)
but
may
have
been a
publici
ty
stunt
for the
openin
g of
the
gallery
.
Accord
ing to
the
Evenin
g
Herald
of
Decem
ber 1,
1968
F.W.
Gumle
y
witnes
sed
the
black
cat in
the
late.
Lady
Masse
y, wife
of the
"Penni
less
Peer"
as well
as her
son
were
taken
in by
Miss
Marga
ret
Fox
after
Lord
Masse
y, was
declar
ed
bankru
pt and
the
house
and
lands
taken
over
by the
banks.
Anoth
er tale
– very
similar
to that
associ
ated
with
Loftus
Hall,
County
Wexfo
rd –
holds
that
the
Devil
appear
ed,
posing
as a
strang
er
seekin
g
shelter
from a
storm,
and
vanish
ed in a
puff of
smoke
when
a
fellow
guest
notice
d he
had
cloven
hoove
s for
feet. In
yet
anothe
r tale,
a fire
broke
out in
the
buildin
g
when
some
spilled
brandy
was
set
alight,
killing
many
memb
ers
who
were
too
drunk
to
escape
.
It is
from
this
reputa
tion
that
the
buildin
g has
earned
the
name
“Hellfir
e
Club”.
Other
names
by
which
it has
been
known
by
includ
e
“Conol
ly's
Folly”,
“The
Haunt
ed
House
”, “The
Shooti
ng
Lodge”
and
“The
Kennel
”.

he
buildin
g was
set on
fire for
a
second
time in
1849
when
tar
barrels
were
set
alight
by
Irish
Patriot
s who
revolt
ed
over
the
arrival
of
Queen
Victori
a on a
visit to
Ireland
.
oday,
the
house
and
surrou
ndings
(called
Hell
Fire
Wood)
are
owned
by
Coillte,
the
State-
owned
forestr
y
compa
ny.
The
area,
with
comm
anding
views
of
Dublin
and its
enviro
ns, is a
popula
r
recrea
tion
spot
for
many
Dublin
ers.
u
r
Hallow
een
the
year
will be
a
celebr
ation
of our
predec
essors
in
hedoni
sm,
those
men
and
wome
n of
Eire
who
shrugg
ed off
the
mantel
of
propri
ety
and
civility
to
embra
ce
their
shado
wy
nature,
to eat
drink
and be
merry
and
damn
the
conseq
uences
.
t
tendee
s of
the
Hellfir
e Club
includ
ed;
clergy,
nobilit
y,
politici
ans,
schola
rs,
witche
s and
people
from
nearly
every
facet
of 18th
centur
y
societ
y.
r
ess in
a
manne
r
befitti
ng a
hedoni
st of
the
Georgi
an era
(1714-
1830).

o
r those
of you
loath
to
dress
in
period
costu
me,
there
is
always
the
other
Hellfir
e Club.
his
year’s
Shamr
ock
Hallow
een
Party
will be
held
on
Saturd
ay,
Octob
er
3Oth.
Comm
encem
ent of
the
festivi
ties
will
begin
whene
ver
people
show
up, as
usual.